Upcoming Courses at Life Fit
HE Seminars and Life Fit Wellness present:
The Neck: Clinical Rehabilitation
ABOUT THE COURSE
This is a time of great change in the management of musculoskeletal pain and injury. Whilst research has shown the limitations of hands-on manipulative approaches, clinicians are also recognising how psychological factors inﬂuence treatment and recovery.But where do you start? How do you put the latest clinical research into practice? How do you decide whether to prioritise physical or psychological approaches in your clinical work?
Learn how you can integrate the latest, cutting edge assessment and treatment approaches into your clinical practice from a physiotherapist that specialises in neck pain. “The Neck: Clinical Rehabilitation” is a 2 day evidence-based course based upon thirty years extensive clinical and research experience. You will gain an in depth understanding of the biomechanics, pathology and evidence-based assessment and rehabilitation of neck pain. Throughout the 2 days there will be an emphasis on research findings that are directly relevant to you, the practicing clinician. You can become the neck pain expert in your department!
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Chris Worsfold MSc PGDip ManPhys MCSP MMACP Physiotherapist specialising in Neck Pain
Chris is a full time Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist, specialising in neck pain. He set up Kent Neck Pain Centre in Tonbridge, Kent in 2010. He is a popular and in-demand public speaker and very regularly presents his work to students, health professionals and lawyers in schools, NHS Hospitals, private clinics and at national conferences. He represented the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) in Parliament in 2013 and on the Ministry of Justice Whiplash Reform Working Group (2014) – tasked with reforming the whiplash medico-legal reporting system in England and Wales. He has appeared on BBC1, BBC2, BBC Parliament, BBC Radio 4 and in the national press discussing neck pain.
Follow Chris on Twitter: @chrisworsfold1
British Nordic Walking and Life Fit Wellness present:
INWA Nordic Walking Instructor
ABOUT THE COURSE
As a British Nordic Walking instructor you will benefit from learning how to teach the original INWA programme – the 10 Step Method.This is a proven and effective way to teach people to Nordic Walk and to continue to progress and improve their technique and fitness.Taught over two days the course covers:
- Teaching Nordic Walking using the INWA 10 Step Method.
- Using drills to improve technique and problem solve technique issues.
- Teaching safely in an outdoor environment.
- Planning great classes, interesting routes and fun sessions.
- Getting started – setting up new Nordic Walking groups and classes, how to market your Nordic Walking and be successful
The course uses video cameras to film your own technique to accelerate your learning of the 10 Step Method of Nordic Walking and to develop your observational skills.The whole course is packed full of information and hugely enjoyable.
For further course information, please visit here.
This course will be taken by Life Fit’s very own Arlene Bowmaker, Chartered Physiotherapist, Nordic Walking Instructor and Pilates Teacher.
Nick Grantham Performance and Life Fit Wellness present:
Integrating Strength and Conditioning into Injury Rehabilitation
For further information or to book this course, please visit:
ABOUT THE COURSE
Rehabilitation exercise selection and prescription are simple concepts that we make more complex than necessary. During this 1-Day course Nick will show you simple evidence based principles that will allow you to produce effective rehabilitation programmes to meet your client’s needs. The concepts can be easily be incorporated into your practice, building upon what you already do well whilst challenging your existing ideas. Nick will show how expanding your ability to design and implement effective exercise prescriptions can improve adherence and rehabilitation outcomes.
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Nick is a performance enhancement specialist. His career spans four Olympic cycles and he is a founding member of the United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association and an accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach (ASCC). He has become recognised as a specialist in athletic preparation and has a wealth of knowledge in the physical preparation and injury rehabilitation of high performance athletes at the most elite levels; including professional sport, Olympic, Commonwealth, European, and World Championship standards.Nick has worked closely with professional, National Governing Bodies and home institute medical teams assisting in the management, monitoring and implementation of injury management programmes. He continues to develop his knowledge of advanced training concepts and evidence based training principles. A sought after ‘expert’ he has presented seminars and practical workshops for the Football Association, BASEM, British Olympic Association and UK Strength & Conditioning Association. Nick has successfully transferred his detailed knowledge of training athletes into the public arena for rapid results and has a great ability to make the complex seem obvious and simple, making it easy to apply in your clinics.
Vital PM and Life Fit Wellness present:
Prof Deborah Falla:
Therapeutic Exercise for Neck Pain Disorders
ABOUT THE COURSE
Studies have documented various impairments in neuromuscular function of the cervical spine in people with neck pain. These changes in muscle behaviour are known to appear early after the onset of neck pain and do not automatically reverse over time in the absence of specific training interventions.
Such knowledge highlights the need for rehabilitation programs to incorporate training to address neuromuscular control as part of the overall management of a patient with neck pain. Contemporary exercise programs include a progressive range of specific exercises for the neck muscles which are based on precise movement analysis and muscle testing.
Relevant to clinical practice, such specific exercise programs to retrain muscle function in patients with neck pain have shown favourable responses in terms of improvements in pain, disability, and function. This approach to therapeutic exercise for the management of neck pain disorders will be presented within this clinical workshop.
- Review of the neuromuscular impairments found in patients with neck pain disorders
- Practical session including movement analysis and specific muscles tests for the cervical region
- Practical session presenting a specific exercise approach for managing cervical neuromuscular dysfunction
- Practical session including movement analysis and specific muscles tests for the scapular region
- Practical session presenting an exercise approach for managing axio-scapular muscle dysfunction
- Assessment and management of sensorimotor disturbances in neck pain including impaired proprioception, oculomotor control disturbances and impaired balance. Includes both theory and practical session
- Overview of the similarities and differences between whiplash-induced pain and idiopathic neck pain and the implications for management
- Consider the impact of central sensitization on rehabilitation
- Key principles of evidence based therapeutic exercise for neck pain disorders
- Presentation of the overall management of patients with neck pain disorders
Vital PM and Life Fit Wellness present:
The Shoulder - Steps To Success
ABOUT THE COURSE
This 2 days course will present a simple evidence-based approach to the management of shoulder pathology, which is immediately applicable in your clinical practice. It will consider current development in the literature and how they inform the key factors contributing to successful outcomes.The specific rehabilitation approaches for: dynamic shoulder stability, kinetic chain control, shoulder stiffness, shoulder tendinopathy, culpritis etc will be discussed and accomplished by a practical workshop. These is highly practical course, which contains lots of rehabilitation tips!
- To present the current literature regarding dynamic stability of the shoulder complex and explore the application to clinical assessment and treatment.
- To present the current literature regarding the pathophysiology of common shoulder conditions and describe the impact on the dynamic stabilisers.
- To demonstrate key assessment tools to explore function of the dynamic stabilisers of the shoulder as a basis for treatment planning.
- To demonstrate key treatment approaches based on the current evidence to address movement dysfunction in the shoulder complex.
By the end of this two-day course the participant should;
- Understand current concepts of dynamic stability of the shoulder joint.
- Understand current theories relating to the pathophysiology of common shoulder conditions and their impact on dynamic stability of the shoulder joint.
- Develop an awareness of current research regarding evidence-based treatment of shoulder pathology.
- Understand key assessment and treatment tools for the successful treatment of the shoulder joint.
- Have the ability to clinically reason key treatment approaches in the management of common shoulder conditions.
ABOUT THE TUTOR:
Jo Gibson (MCSP MSc) is a Clinical Physiotherapy Specialist since 1995 working at the Upper Limb Unit at the Royal Liverpool Hospital and a in private practice. She worked as Squad Physiotherapist for the GB Endurance Riding Team for six years and now works on a consultancy basis with several elite sports teams regarding shoulder rehabilitation.Jo is an associate Lecturer at the University of Liverpool and has co-developed Upper Limb Masters Modules. She lectures Nationally and Internationally about assessment and rehabilitation of the shoulder complex and has published in peer reviewed journals and written several book chapters. Jo is a member of the EUSSER board (European Society of Shoulder & Elbow Rehabilitation) and a co-founder of the International Congress of Shoulder and Elbow Therapists, which now runs tri-annually.
Follow Jo on Twitter: @ShoulderGeek1
ABOUT THE COURSES
The APPI Matwork Pilates teacher training series has been designed for those of you teaching in the rehabilitation setting or looking to offer clinically-safe Pilates techniques. It is the essential Pilates training tool for all health professionals.The APPI matwork Pilates training series is formed of three 2 day courses:
- Matwork Level One – The Foundation
- Matwork Level Two – Class Instructor
- Matwork Level Three – Intermediate & Advanced
The APPI curriculum is designed by Physiotherapists specifically for those working in the field of rehabilitation; therefore pathology, normal movement patterns, neuro-muscular timing and neural pathomechanics are addressed in relation to each exercise. The traditional Pilates repertoire is broken down into clearly defined levels to ensure a standard, gradual progression towards normal functional movement. Scientific evidence on segmental spinal stabilisation and on pelvic stability forms the theoretical foundation for the APPI curriculum.
The Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute (APPI) is a world leading provider of Physiotherapy and Pilates Treatment, Education and Products. From its humbled beginnings in Melbourne, Australia, APPI’s unique program of rehabilitation based Pilates programs has lead the world for over 16 years.
APPI educational programs are world renowned and now available in Australia, Brazil, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and across the USA.
A unique benefit of APPI Pilates Training is that you do not have to repeat-learn, but instead use your existing Physiotherapy knowledge and apply this to the practice of Pilates, efficiently, and without wasting unnecessary time or expense. Courses are taught using the APPI’s unique modified Pilates technique. This technique has been developed specifically for rehabilitation settings. The APPI technique of Pilates instruction ensures that safe and scientifically researched movement patterns are learned. APPI’s Pilates courses can be applied to: Rehab, retraining of alignment, correcting posture, improving range of motion, supporting the spine and for safe sport and strength training. Currently, over 3000 therapists are trained each year by the APPI across our International course providers.
Please visit the APPI website for course pricing.